Distribution Automatique

Monday, July 4

[Scroll down to Sunday, July 3rd
for Mimi Gross In Her studio and
Saturday July 2nd for link to
*Boynton*, who is taking a hiatus
and considering closing the blog;
Chris Stroffolino opens a blog,
*Continuous Peasant*]

A Dream About Alan Davies {click here}

Alan Davies calls me to ask me to meet him
at a bus stop near my house. I have a black
briefcase with me that I set down on the
floor. As the bus travels down a long
hill, I speak with Alan about how you can
write an article about practically anything.
"You talk about a poet's book, say one
by Charles (Bernstein), and go on
to discuss whatever it is that interests you."
I look up and see that we've arrived nearby
my office. I am astonished by this because
by subway, including the
walk to the station, it takes nearly
an hour. "This was so quick!" I say, astonished.
"We've gotten here in about twenty minutes!"
It is intensely bright outside.
Alan is beaming. I pass by my stop by one
block looking for the stop bell. I hurriedly
find my briefcase, say goodbye to Alan,
and jump off. Alan is smiling.
***************************************************
"255. How can one learn the truth by thinking?
As one learns to see a face better if one
draws it.

256. Philosophers who think that one can as it
were use thought to make an extension of experience,
should think about the fact that one can transmit
talk, but not measles, by telephone.
...

259. 'But how can human understanding outstrip
reality and itself *think* the unverifiable?' -Why do we not
*say* the unverifiable? For we ourselves made it
unverifiable.
A false *appearance* is produced? And how can
it so much as *look* like that? For don't you want
to say that this *like that* is not a description at all?
Well, then it isn't a *false* appearance either,
but rather one that robs us of our orientation. So that
we clutch our brows and ask: How can that be?'
...
456. Some philosophers (or whatever you like to
call them) suffer from what may be called "loss of
problems". Then everything seems quite simple
to them, no deep problems seem to exist any more,
the world becomes broad and flat and loses all
depth, and what they write becomes immeasurably
shallow and trivial. Russell and H.G. Wells suffer
from this."

from *Zettel* by Ludwig Wittgenstein
edited by G. E. M. Anscombe and G. H.
Von Wright
translated by G. E. M. Anscombe
University of California Press, 1967