Distribution Automatique

Thursday, August 14

The other day I went to Moe's Books and found the new edition of Antonio Porchia's aphorisms, translated by W.S. Merwin, called "Voices." Here's a little bouquet of them to put on your desk this morning. Maybe they will ease the tedium and torment of your day maybe not, but at least they will make it a bit more interesting!

"Without this ridiculous vanity that takes the form of self-display, and is a part of everything and everyone, we would see nothing, and nothing would exist."

"Not believing has a sickness which is believing a little."

"Nothing that is complete breathes."

"When the superficial wearies me, it wearies me so much, I need an abyss in order to rest."

"He who does not fill his world with phantoms remains alone."

"Sometimes I find that misery is so vast I am afraid of needing it."

"The mystery brings peace to my eyes, not blindness."

"That in man which cannot be domesticated is not his evil but his goodness."

"Man, when he does not grieve, hardly exists."

"They will say you are on the wrong road, if it is your own."

"We have a world for each one, but not a world for all."

"Everyone thinks that his things are not like all the things in the world. And that is why everyone keeps them."

"When there is no treasure to show, night is a treasure."

"No one understands you have given everything. You must give more."

"I love you as you are. But do not tell me how that is."

"Yes, I will go. I would rather grieve over your absence than over you."

"When you made me into another, I left you with me."

"It is a long time that I asked heaven for anything, and still my arms have not come down."

"The loss of a thing affects us until we have lost it altogether."

"You are sad because they abandon you and you have not fallen."

"Whatever I take, I take too much or too little; I do not take the exact amount. The exact amount is of no use to me."

"When one does not love the impossible, one does not love anything."

"The fear of separation is all that unites."

"When you seem to be listening to my words, they seem to be your words, with me listening."

"I would go to heaven, but I would take my hell; I would not go alone."

"A large heart can be filled with very little."

"The love that is not all pain is not all love."

"Words that have been said to me at other times I hear now."

"He who makes a paradise of his bread makes a hell of his hunger."

"The dream that is not fed with dream disappears."

"I also had a summer and burned myself in its name."